Within the Mayo Clinic Center for Individualized Medicine, the Medical Genome Facility offers services to other medical providers.
The process for accessing our services or requesting more information can be obtained from the director listed on each core (shared laboratory) website.
Our services include the latest next-generation sequencing technologies for exome, genome and RNA sequencing, in addition to single-molecule DNA sequencing.
Next-generation sequencing experts are available to consult with you to identify the best methodology for your research needs. We also offer standard Sanger sequencing services.
- Whole-exome sequencing — Illumina
- Whole-genome sequencing — Illumina
- RNA sequencing — Illumina
- Single-molecule sequencing — Pacific Biosciences
- Sanger sequencing
Services include labeling and hybridization to commercial microarrays, library preparation for next-generation sequencing, high-throughput quantitative polymerase chain reaction (PCR) service and access to quantitative PCR instrumentation.
This core uses high-throughput genetic technologies to reveal how individual genes express themselves at the molecular level. The results classify disease based on the patterns of gene activity in cells.
The team provides comprehensive services and technical support for the measurement of clinical and nonclinical samples via:
- Affymetrix — GeneTitan and GeneChip
- Illumina DASL and Direct Hyb
- Next-generation sequencing library preparation — Illumina TruSeq, NuGen Ovation and NEBNext Small RNA
- Custom real-time PCR — Applied Biosystems 7900 and Fluidigm
Our services include genome-wide and custom single nucleotide polymorphism (SNP) analyses, custom genotyping for other genetic variation, and genome-wide and custom methylation analyses, including library preparation for next-generation sequencing-based methylation analyses. We also offer services for validation and authentication of cell lines.
This facility provides services to researchers around the world to map genetic variability (polymorphisms) using:
- Illumina BeadChip — BeadXpress, GoldenGate, Infinium, iSelect and methylation
- Microsatellite analysis by Sanger sequencing
- Reduced representational bisulfite sequencing
- Repeat length polymorphisms by Sanger sequencing
- Custom SNP analysis by Applied Biosystems TaqMan-based PCR
- Affymetrix axiom genotyping
The core provides consultations to assist investigators in determining what tests or processes best fit their needs.
Services include high-sensitivity and high-resolution mass spectrometry for protein and peptide analysis. Our methods identify and quantify proteins from complex biological mixtures, such as cell lysates or body fluids via:
- Peptide synthesis and peptide immunogens
- Protein and peptide separation by fast protein liquid chromatography (FPLC) and high-performance liquid chromatography (HPLC) methods
- Protein separation by 1-D and 2-D polyacrylamide gel electrophoresis (PAGE)
- Protein identification and expression from 1-D gel bands and 2-D gel spots by liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry (LC-MS/MS)
- Protein post-translational modification analysis by tandem mass spectrometry (MS/MS)
- High mass accuracy determination of proteins, peptides and small analytes by time-of-flight mass spectrometry
- Multiple reaction monitoring mass spectrometry (MRM-MS) quantification of protein-specific peptides and small analytes
The analysis of chromosomes in human development and disease is accomplished through routine cytogenetic procedures combined with advanced molecular cytogenetic techniques.
Specific cell types include tumor cell lines, xenograft cells, hybrid cells from chimeric animal models, neural stem cells and mouse embryonic fibroblasts, among others. Our services are available worldwide to genetic researchers engaged in cutting-edge research.
Our team analyzes the number and structure of human and animal chromosomes using:
- Fluorescence in situ hybridization (FISH) — paraffin and nonparaffin
- Spectral karyotype (SKY) — human and mouse
- Commercial and homebrew FISH probes
- Classical cytogenetics analysis
For more information about our genomics services, please contact us.