Electron microscopy at Mayo Clinic began in 1959 when the institution purchased an RCA 3 electron microscope for Dr. Arnold Brown, a Mayo pathologist. That first year, 146 samples (about 50 percent clinical diagnostic and 50 percent biomedical research) were processed for TEM examination.
This original electron microscopy lab evolved to include three transmission electron microscopes and one field emission scanning electron microscope and two processing facilities (the Microscopy and Cell Analysis Core and its sister facility, the Renal Biopsy Laboratory). In 2003, more than 6,000 samples were processed for transmission or scanning electron microscopy.
© 2013 Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research. All rights reserved.