Honors and Awards
- 1984 British Heart Foundation/American Heart Association International Scholarship
- 1985 Charter Lecture. Institute of Biology, Newcastle, "The Biology of Organ Transplantation"
- 1985 Honyman Gillespie Lecture. University of Edinburgh, "Surgery for Terminal Heart Disease"
- 1986 British Heart Foundation Lecture. University of Dundee, "Heart and Heart-Lung Transplantation"
- 1986 Theresian Medal of University of Pavia
- 1993 Medal of the University of Helsinki
- 1993 Porthan Medal of the University of Turku
- 1995 Medal of the San Matteo Hospital, Pavia, Italy
- 1996 Medal of Collegio Chislieri, Pavia, Italy
- 2002 Clinical Investigator Appointment, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota. Institutional award and appointment in recognition of sustained scientific achievement.
- 2005 Honorary Doctor of Medicine, University of Pavia, Italy