Click to view the corresponding publications:
- Alfano, CM; Kelsges, RC; Murray, DM; Bowen, DJ; McTierman, A; Vander Weg, MW; Robinson, LA; Cartment, B; Thornquist, MD; Barnett, M; Goodman, GE; Omenn, GS. Physical Activity in Relation to All-Site and Lung Cancer Incidence and Mortalityin Current and Former Smokers. Cancer Epidemiol, Biomarkers Prev. 2004; 13(12):2233-41.
- Burke, MV; Ebbert, JO; Hays, JT. Treatment of Tobacco Dependence. Mayo Clinic Proc. 83(4): 479-484, 2004.
- Carlyle J, Collin J, Muggli ME, Hurt, RD. British American Tobacco and Formula One motor racing. BMJ. 329:104–106, 2004.
- Clark MM, Cox LS, Jett JR, Patten CA, Schroeder DR, Nirelli LM, Vickers KS, Hurt RD, Swensen SJ. Effectiveness of smoking cessation self-help materials in a lung cancer screening population. Lung Cancer. 44:13-21, 2004.
- Clark MM, Decker PA, Offord KP, Patten CA, Vickers KS, Croghan IT, Hays JT, Hurt RD, Dale LC. Weight concerns among male smokers. Addict Behav. 29:1637-1641, 2004.
- Collin J, Muggli ME, Carlyle J, Lee K, Hurt RD. A race to the death: British American Tobacco and the Chinese Grand Prix. Lancet. 364:1107-1108, 2004.
- Cooney, JL; Cooney, NL; Patten, CA; George, TP. "Comorbidity of Nicotine Dependence with Affective, Psychotic, and Substance Use Disorders" in HR Kranzler and JA Tinsley (Eds.) Dual Diangosis and Psychiatric Treatment: Substance Abuse and Comorbid Dirosders 2nd Edl 2004. NY: Marcel Dekker. Pages 211-259.
- Cooper, TV; DeBon, MW; Stockton, M; Klesges, RC; Steenbergh, TA; Sherrill-Mittleman, D; Jennings, LC; Johnson, KC. Corrlates of adherence with transdermal nicotine. Addictive Behaviors. 2004, 29:1565-1578.
- Cox LS, Patten CA, Niaura RS, Decker PA, Rigotti N, Sachs DPL, Buist AS, Hurt RD. Efficacy of bupropion for relapse prevention in smokers with and without a past history of major depression. J Gen Intern Med. 19:828-834, 2004.
- Croghan IT, Campbell HM, Patten CA, Croghan GA, Schroeder DR, Novotny PJ. A contest to create media messages aimed at recruiting adolescents for stop smoking programs. J Sch Health. 74(8):325-328, 2004.
- de Andrade M, Ebbert JO, Wampfler JA, Miller DL, Marks RS, Croghan GA, Jatoi A, Finke EE, Sellers TA, Yang P. Environmental tobacco smoke exposure in women with lung cancer. Lung Cancer. 43(2):127-134, 2004.
- Ebbert JO, Carr AB, Dale LC. Smokeless tobacco: an emerging addiction. Med Clin N Am. 88(6):1593-1605, 2004.
- Ebbert JO, Dale LC, Nirelli LM, Schroeder DR, Moyer TP, Hurt RD. Cotinine as a biomarker of systemic nicotine exposure in spit tobacco users. Addict Behav. 29(2):349-355, 2004.
- Ebbert JO, Dale LC, Vickers KS, Gauvin TR, Bunge NE, Hurt RD. Residential treatment for smokeless tobacco use: a case series. J Subst Abuse Treat. 26:261-267, 2004.
- Ebbert JO, Rowland LC, Montori V, Vickers KS, Erwin PC, Dale LC, Stead LF. Interventions for smokeless tobacco use cessation. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. (3):CD004306, 2004.
- Garces YI, Schroeder DR, Nirelli LM, Croghan GA, Croghan IT, Foote RL, Hurt RD. Tobacco use outcomes among head and neck cancer patients treated for nicotine dependence: a matched-pair analysis. Cancer. 101:116-124, 2004.
- Garces YI, Yang P, Parkinson J, Zhao X, Wampfler JA, Ebbert JO, Sloan JA. The relationship between cigarette smoking and quality of life after lung cancer diagnosis. Chest. 126(6):1717-1718, 2004.
- Haddock, CK; Lando, H; Klesges, RC; Peterson, AL; Scrinci, IC. Modified Tobacco Use and Lifestyle Change in Risk-Reducint Beliefs About Smoking. Am J Prev Med. 2004, 27(1):35-41.
- Maziak, W; Eissenbert, T; Klesges, RC; Keil, U; Ward, KD. Adapting smoking cessation interventions for developing countries; a model for the Middle East. In J Tuberc Lunc Dis. 8(4):403-413.
- Maziak, W; Ward, KD; Eissenberg, T; Klesges, RC; Keil, U. The Syrian Center for Tobacco Studies: a model of international partnership for the creation of sustainable research capacity in developing countries. Promot Educ. 2004, 11(2): 93-134.
- Muggli ME, Hurt RD, Becker LB. Turning free speech into corporate speech: Philip Morris’ efforts to influence U.S. and European journalists regarding the U.S. EPA report on secondhand smoke. Prev Med. 39:568-580, 2004.
- Muggli ME, Hurt RD, Repace J. The tobacco industry’s political efforts to derail the EPA report on ETS. Am J Prev Med. 26:167-177, 2004.
- Muggli ME, LeGresley EM, Hurt, RD. Big tobacco is watching: British American Tobacco’s surveillance and information concealment at the Guildford depository. Lancet. 363:1812-1819, 2004.
- Muggli ME, Hurt RD. A cigarette manufacturer and a managed care company collaborate to censor health information for employees. Am J Public Health. 94:1307-1311, 2004.
- Patten CA, Lopez K, Thomas JL, Offord KP, Decker PA, Pingree S, Dornelas EA, Ahluwalia JS. Reported willingness among adolescent nonsmokers to help parents, peers, and others to stop smoking. Prev Med. 39(6):1099-1106, 2004.
- Patten CA, Offord KP, Hurt RD, Cox LS, Thomas JL, Quigg SM, Croghan IT, Wolter TD. Training support persons to help smokers quit: a pilot study. Am J Prev Med. 26:386-390, 2004.
- Pingree S, Boberg E, Patten CA, Offord KP, Gaie M, Schensky A, Gustafson DH, Dornelas E, Ahluwalia JS. Helping adolescents quit smoking: a needs assessment of current and former teen smokers. Health Comm. 16(2):185-194, 2004.
- Poirer MK, Clark MM, Cerhan JH, Pruthi S, Geda YE, Dale LC. Teaching motivational interviewing skills to first year medical students increased knowledge of, and confidence in, performing health behavior change counseling. Mayo Clin Proc. 79:327-331, 2004.
- Renner CC, Patten CA, Enoch C, Petraitis J, Offord KP, Angstman SE, Garrison AW, Nevak C, Croghan IT, Hurt RD. Focus groups of Y-K Delta Alaska Natives: attitudes toward tobacco use and tobacco dependence interventions. Prev Med. 38:421-431, 2004.
- Thomas JL, Patten CA, Offord KP, Decker PA. Preliminary findings on the development of a measure of supportive behaviors provided by support persons to help someone stop smoking. J Behav Med. 27(5):507-523, 2004.
- Vander Weg, MW; Watson, JM; Klesges, RC; Clemens, LHE; Slawson, DL, McClanahan, BS. Development and cross-validation of a prediction equation for estimating resting energy expenditure in healthy African-American and European-American women. Eu J of Clin Nutrition. 2004. 58:474-480.
- Vickers KS, Patten CA, Bronars C, Lane K, Stevens SR, Croghan IT, Schroeder DR, Clark MM. Binge drinking in female college students: the association of physical activity, weight concern, and depressive symptoms. J Am Coll Health. 53(3):133-140, 2004.
- Warner DO, Patten CA, Ames SC, Offord, KP, Schroeder DR. Smoking behavior and perceived stress in cigarette smokers undergoing elective surgery. Anesthesiology. 100:1125-1137, 2004.
- Warner DO, Sarr MG, Offord KP, Dale LC. Anesthesiologists, general surgeons, and tobacco interventions in the perioperative period. Anesth Analg. 99(6):1766-1773, 2004.
Back to Top
- Cox LS, Clark MM, Jett JR, Patten CA, Schroeder DR, Nirelli LM, Swensen SJ, Hurt RD. Change in smoking status after spiral chest computed tomography screening. Cancer. 98:2495-2501, 2003.
- Cox LS, Patten CA, Krahn LE, Hurt RD, Croghan IT, Wolter TD, Schroeder DR, Tri DM, Offord KP. The effect of nicotine patch therapy on depression in nonsmokers: a preliminary study. J Addict Dis. 22:75-85, 2003.
- Croghan GA, Sloan JA, Croghan IT, Novotny P, Hurt RD, DeKrey W, Mailliard JA, Ebbert LP, Swan DK, Walsh DJ, Wiesenfeld M, Levitt R, Stella P, Johnson PA, Tschetter LK, Loprinzi C. Comparison of a nicotine patch alone versus nicotine nasal spray alone versus a combination for treating smokers: A minimal intervention, randomized multicenter trial in a nonspecialized setting. Nicotine Tob Res. 5:181-187, 2003.
- Ebbert JO, Rowland LC, Montori VM, Vickers KS, Erwin PJ, Dale LC. Treatments for spit tobacco use: a quantitative systematic review. Addiction. 98:569-583, 2003.
- Ebbert JO, Yang P, Vachon CM, Vierkant RA, Cerhan JR, Folsom AR, Sellers TA. Lung cancer risk reduction after smoking cessation: observations from a prospective cohort of women. J Clin Oncol. 21(5):921-926, 2003.
- Ferguson JA, Patten CA, Schroeder DR, Offord KP, Eberman KM, Hurt RD. Predictors of 6-month tobacco abstinence among 1224 cigarette smokers treated for nicotine dependence. Addict Behav. 28:1203-1218, 2003.
- Garces YI, Hays JT. Tobacco dependence: why should an oncologist care? J Clin Oncol. 2003;21:1884-1886.
- Garces YI; Yang, P; Parkinison, J; Zhao, X. Novotny, PJ; Wampfler, JA; Ebbert, JO; Sloan, JA. Does cigarette smoking have an impact on quality of life after diagnosis of lung cancer? Clinical Therapeutics. 25(S 4): D33-D34, 2003.
- Hays JT, Ebbert JO. Bupropion for the treatment of tobacco dependence: Guidelines for balancing risks and benefits. CNS Drugs. 17(2):71-83, 2003.
- Hays JT, Ebbert JO. Bupropion sustained release for treatment of tobacco dependence. Mayo Clin Proc. 78(8):1020-1024, 2003.
- Hurt RD, Ebbert JO, Hays JT, Dale LC. Pharmacologic Interventions for Tobacco Dependence. In: Graham AW, Schultz TK, Mayo-Smith MF, Ries RK, Wilford BB (eds) Principles of Addiction Medicine (3rd Ed.). Chevy Chase, MD, American Society of Addiction Medicine. Chap. 7, p. 801-814, 2003.
- Hurt RD, Krook JE, Croghan IT, Loprinzi CL, Loan JA, Novotny PJ, Kardinal CG, Knost JA, Tirona MT, Addo F, Morton RF, Michalak JC, Schaefer PL, Porter PA, Stella PJ. Nicotine patch therapy based on smoking rate followed by bupropion for prevention of relapse to smoking. J Clin Oncol. 21:914-920, 2003.
- Hurt RD, Patten CA. Treatment of Tobacco Dependence in Alcoholics. In: Galanter MG (ed.), Recent Developments in Alcoholism. National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism. Vol 16, pp. 335-359, 2003.
- Muggli ME, Hurt RD. Listening between the lines: what BAT really thinks of its consumers in the developing world. Tob Control. 12(1):104, 2003.
- Muggli ME, Hurt RD. Tobacco industry strategies to undermine the 8th World Conference on Tobacco or Health. Tob Control. 12(2):195-202, 2003.
- Muggli ME, Hurt RD, Blanke DD. Science for hire: A tobacco industry strategy to influence public opinion on secondhand smoke. Nicotine Tob Res. 5:303-314, 2003.
- Patten CA, Hurt RD, Offord KP, Croghan IT, Gomez-Dahl LC, Kottke TE, Morse RM, Melton LJ. Relationship of tobacco use to depressive disorders and suicidality among patients treated for alcohol dependence. Am J Addict. 12:71-83, 2003.
- Patten CA, Offord KP, Ames SC, Decker P, Croghan IT, Dornelas EA, Pingree S, Boberg E, Gustafson DH, Ahluwalia JS, Wolter TD, Hurt RD. Differences in adolescent smoker and nonsmoker perception of strategies that would help an adolescent quit smoking. Ann Behav Med. 26:124-133, 2003.
- Patten CA, Vickers KS, Martin JE, Williams CD. Exercise interventions for smokers with a history of alcoholism: Exercise adherence rates and effect of depression on adherence. Addict Behav. 28:657-667, 2003.
- Vickers KS, Patten CA, Lane K, Clark MM, Colligan RC, Croghan IT, Schroeder DR, Hurt RD. Depressed versus nondepressed young adult tobacco users: differences in coping style, exercise level, and weight concerns. Health Psychol. 22:498-503, 2003.
Back to Top
- Benowitz NL, Ahijevych K, Hall S, Hansson A, Henningfield J, Hurt RD, Jacob P III, Jarvis MJ, LeHouezec J, Lichtenstein E, Tsoh J, Velicer W. Biochemical verification of tobacco use and cessation. Nicotine Tob Res. 4:149-159, 2002.
- Cox LS, Patten CA, Ebbert JO, Drews AA, Croghan GA, Clark MM, Wolter TD, Decker PA, Hurt, RD. Tobacco use outcomes among lung cancer patients treated for nicotine dependence. J Clin Onc. 20(16):3461-3469, 2002.
- Cox LS, Sloan JA, Patten CA, Bonner JA, Geyer SM, McGinnis WL, Stella PJ, Marks RS. Smoking behavior of 226 patients with diagnosis of stage IIIA/IIIB non-small cell lung cancer. Psycho-Oncology. 11:472-478, 2002.
- Dale, LC; Ebbert, JO; Schroeder, DR; Croghan, IT: Rasmussen, DF; Trautman, JA; Cox, LS; Hurt, RD. Bupropion for the treatment of nicotine dependence in spit tobacco users: A Pilot Study. Nicotine Tob Res. 4:267-274, 2002.
- Gonzales D, Niaura R, Hays JT, Hurt RD, Sachs DPL, Rigotti N, Bjornson W. Effects of gender on relapse prevention in smokers treated with bupropion SR. Am J Prev Med. 22:234-239, 2002.
- Hurt RD. Pharmacotherapy for alcoholic smokers. Alcohol Clin Exp Res. 26(12):1939-1941, 2002.
- Hurt RD, Ebbert JO. Preventing lung cancer by stopping smoking. In: Matthay RA (ed) Clinics in Chest Medicine, Philadelphia: WB Saunders (Div of Elsevier Science), 23:27-36, 2002.
- Hurt RD, Wolter TD, Rigotti N, Hays JT, Niaura R, Durcan MJ, Gonzales D, Sachs DPL, Johnston JA, Offord KP. Bupropion for pharmacologic relapse prevention to smoking: predictors of outcome. Addict Behav. 27:493-507, 2002.
- Lapid MI, Hall-Flavin DK, Cox LS, Lichty EJ, Krahn LE. Smokeless tobacco use among addiction patients: A brief report. J Addict Dis. 21(2):27-33, 2002.
- Meis TM, Gaie MJ, Pingree S, Boberg EW, Patten CA, Offord K, Berry KL, Gustafson DH. Development of a tailored, Internet-based smoking cessation intervention for adolescents. J of Computer-Mediated Comm. 7(3), http://www.ascusc.org/jcmc/vol7/issue3/meis.html, 2002.
- Mermelstein R, Colby SM, Patten C, Prokhorov A, Brown R, Myers M, Adelman W, Hudmon K, McDonald P. Methodological issues in measuring treatment outcome in adolescent smoking cessation studies. Nicotine Tob Res. 4(4):395-403, 2002.
- Moyer TP, Charlson JR, Enger RJ, Dale LC, Ebbert JO, Schroeder DR, Hurt RD. Simultaneous analysis of nicotine, nicotine metabolites, and tobacco alkaloids in serum or urine by tandem mass spectrometry, with clinically relevant metabolic profiles. Clin Chem. 48(9):1460-1471, 2002.
- Patten, CA. Treating Alcoholic Smokers Who Have a History of Depression. Alcoholism: Clinical and Experimental Research 2002, December, 26(12):1947-1949.
- Patten CA, Drews AA, Myers MG, Martin JE, Wolter TD. Effect of depressive symptoms on smoking abstinence and treatment adherence among smokers with a history of alcohol dependence. Psychol Addict Behav. 16(2):135-142, 2002.
- Patten CA, Martin JE, Filter K, Wolter TD. Utility and accuracy of collateral reports of smoking status in 256 abstinent alcoholic smokers treated for smoking cessation. Addict Behav. 27:687-696, 2002.
- Schroeder DR; Ogburn PL; Hurt RD; Croghan IT; Ramin KD; Offord KP; Moyer TP. Nicotine patch use in pregnant smokers: Smoking abstinence and delivery outcomes. J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med. 11:100-107, 2002.
- Vickers KS, Thomas JL, Patten CA, Mrazek D. Prevention of tobacco use in adolescents: review of current findings and implications for healthcare providers. Curr Opin Pediatr. 14:708-712, 2002.
Back to Top
- Ames, SC; Jones, GN; Howe, JT; Brantley, PJ. A Prospective Study of the Impact of Stress on Quality of Life: An Investigation of Low-income Individuals With Hypertension. Ann Behav Med. 2001, 23:112-119.
- Croghan I, O’Hara MR, Schroeder DR, Patten CA, Croghan GA, Hays JT, Dale LC, Bowen DA, Kottke TE, Hurt RD. A community-wide smoking cessation program: Quit and Win 1998 in Olmsted County. Preventive Medicine. 33:229-238, 2001.
- Dale LC, Glover ED, Sachs DPL, Schroeder DR, Offord KP, Croghan IT, Hurt RD. Bupropion for smoking cessation: predictors of successful outcome. Chest. 119:1357-1364, 2001.
- Der DE, You YQ, Wolter TD, Bowen DA, Dale LC. A free smoking intervention clinic initiated by medical students: an initial report. Mayo Clin Proc. 76(2):144-151, 2001.
- Hays JT, Wolter TD, Eberman KM, Croghan IT, Hurt RD, Offord KP. Residential (inpatient) treatment compared to outpatient treatment for nicotine dependence. Mayo Clin Proc. 76(2):124-133, 2001.
- Hays JT, Hurt RD, Rigotti N, Niaura R, Gonzales D, Durcan MJ, Sachs DPL, Wolter TD, Schroeder DR, Buist AS, Johnston JA, White JD. Sustained-release bupropion for pharmacologic relapse prevention after smoking cessation. Ann Intern Med. 135:(6):423-433, 2001.
- Hurt, RD; Croghan, GA; Beede, SD; Wolter, TD; Croghan, IT; Patten, CA. Nicotine Patch Therapy in 101 Adolescent Smokers. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 2000, 154:31-37.
- Muggli ME, Forster JL, Hurt RD, Repace JL. The smoke you don’t see: Uncovering tobacco industry scientific strategies aimed against environmental tobacco smoke. Am J Public Health. 91:1419-1423, 2001.
- Patten CA, Ames SC, Ebbert JO, Wolter TD, Hurt RD, Gauvin TR. Tobacco use outcomes of adolescents treated clinically for nicotine dependence. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 155:831-837, 2001.
- Patten CA, Martin JE, Calfas KJ, Lento J, Wolter TD. Behavioral treatment for smokers with a history of alcoholism: predictors of successful outcome. J Consult Clin Psychol. 69(5):796-801, 2001.
- Patten CA, Gillin JC, Golshan S, Wolter TD, Rapaport M, Kelsoe J. Relationship of mood disturbance to cigarette smoking status among 252 patients with a current mood disorder. J Clin Psychiatry. 62(5):319-324, 2001.
- Patten CA, Schneekloth TD, Morse RM, Herrick LM, Offord KP, Wolter TD, Williams BA, Hurt RD. Effect of current tobacco use and history of an alcohol problem on health status in hospitalized patients. Addict Behav. 26:129-136, 2001.
- Thorsteinsson, HS; Gillin, C; Patten, CA; Golshan, S; Sutton, LD; Drummond, S; Clark, CP; Kelsoe, J; Rapaport, M. The Effects of Transdermal Nicotine Therapy for Smoking Cessation on Depressive Symptoms in Patients with Major Depression. Neurospychopharmacology. 24:350-358, 2001.
Back to Top
- Abrams DB, King TK, Clark MM, Frosyth LH, Pera Jr V, Goldstein MG. Behavioral medicine strategies: management of nicotine dependence, obesity, and cardiopulmonary rehabilitation exercise. In: Stoudemire A, Fogel BS, Greenberg DB (eds) Psychiatric Care of the Medical Patient, Second Ed. NY: Oxford University Press, Chap. 33, p. 519-544, 2000.
- Clouse WD, Rud KS, Hurt RD, Miller, VM. Short-term treatment with transdermal nicotine affects function of canine saphenous veins. Vascular Medicine. 5:75-82, 2000.
- Clouse WD Yamaguchi H, Phillips MR, Hurt RD, Fitzpatrick LA, Moyer TP, Rowland C, Schaff HV, Miller V. Effects of transdermal nicotine treatment on structure and function of coronary artery bypass grafts. J Appl Physiol. 89(3):1213-1223, 2000.
- Dale LC, Ebbert JO, Hays JT, Hurt RD. Treatment of nicotine dependence. Mayo Clin Proc. 75:1311-1316, 2000.
- Hays JT. Tobacco dependence treatment in patients with heart and lung disease: implications for intervention and review of pharmacological therapy. J Cardpulm Rehabil. 20:215-223, 2000.
- Hays JT. Tobacco, nicotine and addiction. J Subst Use. 5:159-164, 2000.
- Hurt RD, Ahlskog JE, Croghan GA, Offord KP, Wolter TD, Croghan IT, Moyer TP. Carbidopa/levodopa for smoking cessation: a pilot study with negative results. Nicotine Tob Res. 2:71-78, 2000.
- Hurt RD, Croghan GA, Beede SD, Wolter TD, Croghan IT, Offord KP, Patten CA, House RF. Nicotine patch therapy in 101 adolescent smokers – efficacy, withdrawal symptoms relief, carbon monoxide and plasma cotinine levels. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 154:31-37, 2000.
- Hurt RD. Clinical implications of long-term nicotine use. Nicotine and Public Health. Chap. 29, p. 389-409, 2000.
- Hurt RD, Croghan GA, Wolter TD, Croghan IT, Offord KP, Williams GM, Djordjevic MV, Ritchie JP, Jeffrey AM. Does smoking reduction result in reduction of biomarkers associated with harm? a pilot study using a nicotine inhaler. Nicotine Tob Res. 2(4):327-336, 2000.
- Miller VM, Clouse WD, Tonnessen BH, Boston US, Severson SR, Bonde S, Rud KS, Hurt RD. Time and dose effect of transdermal nicotine on endothelial function. Am J Physiology Heart Circulation Physiology. 279:H1913-H1921, 2000.
- Patten, CA; Choi, WS; Tillin, C; Pierce, JP. Depressive Symptoms and Cigarette Smoking Predict Development and Peristnece of Sleep Problems in US Adolescents. Pediatrics. 2000, 106(2):e23.
- Patten, CA; A Critical Evaluation of Nicotine Replacement Therapy for Teenage Smokers. J Child Adolesc Subst Abuse. 2000, 9(4): 51-75.
- Patten CA, Martin JE, Calfas KJ, Brown SA, Schroeder DR. Effect of three smoking cessation treatments on nicotine withdrawal in 141 abstinent alcoholic smokers. Addict Behav. 25(2):301-306, 2000.
- Tonnessen BH, Severson SR, Hurt RD, Miller VM. Modulation of nitric-oxide synthase by nicotine. J Pharmocol Exp Ther. 295(2):601-606, 2000.
Back to Top